Isabel!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Snot and vowels...and another Fila-ism

This morning at 4:00 Isabel woke up snort-breathing like a hippopotamus. She then decided it was a good time to practice her vowel sounds and proceeded to do so at the top of her lungs, while snuffling all over me. At first I thought it would pass after a few minutes so I pretended that I was sleeping through it. ha. Finally I realized once she started slapping me around with her cute, chubby hands that she was REALLY awake. I got up and went to her room to find the bulb syringe, which I've never had to use on her! Of course, that woke the dogs and Bryan, who asked if the baby was ok. I told him that she had a ton of snot and that I was going to syringe it out. I presume he went back to sleep.

I positioned my little reading light so that it would shine on Isabel's nose and almost fell over once I got a view of the amount of snot residing there! It was crusted on the outside and there were boogers chillin' on the inside too. No wonder she sounded like a congested hippopotamus. I cleaned her up and syringed out as much snot as I could. Every time I used the bulb syringe, it made Isabel cough. I then remembered Bryan's family's affinity for Vick's Vapor Rub (it cures all ills) so I rubbed some on the bottoms of Isabel's feet (then put her socks back on) and on my chest so that she would breathe it wafting off of me. We lay back down and I told her it was sleepy-time. She worked a little more on her vowels while I reminded her that it was still sleepy-time. She smacked my chest some more, getting Vick's on her hands. She rubbed her eyes because she was sleepy while I jumped to wipe the Vick's off before she could smear it all over her eyes. I ended up wiping it all off my chest with the burp rag and then just wedging the burp rag between the two of us so that she could still smell the Vick's. We finally went back to sleep around 5:30....just long enough for a 45 minute nap before my alarm went off. woo.

Isabel went to daycare today. When I got her up, she was snotty again and felt a little warm, but I think that was from being in bed because a bit later I felt her forehead again, and she was normal. She was her usual cheerful self though, and kept working on her vowel sounds all the way to Fila's!

Oh, and I have another Fila-ism:

* Ella levanta el techo con sus gritos! (She raises the roof with her shouts. This is true. She has a good set of lungs, my child.)
:)

No comments: