Isabel!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Crazy maaaama, mama craaaaazy.....

So I recently decided that I wanted to give cloth diapering a shot. Crazy mama?! Yeah. I know. Working full-time, baby in daycare.....when do I have time to cloth diaper Isabel, you ask? Evenings and weekends, I thought (PRIOR to first cloth diapering attempt). Isabel's daycare lady said that she is not allowed to use cloth diapers, which is fine. But I thought, I'll use them at home and save money AND be more earth-friendly!

In preparation for my cloth diapering adventure, I bought a package of "pre-folds" cloth diapers, 3 cute girly-colored diaper covers, a set of the newest in diaper fastening technology (these little snappy things), and a few overnight inserts. One of the covers is a Flip, which has its own inserts that you can use instead of a cloth diaper. They work just fine, but I think I might like the cloth diaper better. My first several attempts to fasten the cloth diaper around Isabel's butt were comical and sad, but Isabel was nice and patient with me. She shook her head and tisk-tisked a bit, but let me keep trying to fasten that poor cloth diaper. I should've taken a picture of my first sad attempts. I finally had to ask my MIL for help - she happened to be visiting us last weekend when we were having our maiden voyage of the cloth diapers. She showed me how, and lo and behold, it worked! Well, and the covers are pretty genius too....they appear to keep it all in!

So, overall, I decided that I like cloth diapering. It's just one extra load of laundry a week. I just keep a bucket of water & Oxy Clean in Isabel's room and throw the used cloth diapers (poopies and all) in it. Then by the end of the week, I dump the whole bucket (water & all) into the washing machine, add more soap & Oxy Clean, and then do a pre-soak cycle before washing them. After a spin in the dryer, they came out looking brand new. :)

No comments: